1. Sri Aurobindo Education Society, a Charitable Society registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1868 subject to regulatory & compliance control of Registrar of Societies, Delhi, is managing & running Mirambika Free Progress School (Mirambika) besides other institutions.
2. The Central Government (DDA) allotted land at a concessional rate to the Society for furthering the cause of education in accordance with teachings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother.
3. It implies that the land cannot be put to any use other than furthering the cause of education in accordance with the teachings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother.
4. Mirambika is recognized by the Department of Education (DOE) Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi and subject to the control of DOE.
5. The Society has been granted exemption by the Income Tax Authorities and hence it cannot undertake any activity of a commercial nature.
6. Day to day affairs of the Mirambika located on a part of the land for over 25 years are managed by a Management Committee.
7. As per the Delhi School Education Act, 1973 parents of the school would elect a parent representative to be included in the Management Committee.
8. A parent, Mr. Vikrant Abrol, was nominated to the Management Committee.
9. The sudden impression or legal advice gathered by the Society regarding Mirambika existing on the wrong side of law and or requiring correction was not shared with the Managing Committee and thus no opportunity was ever given to the Managing Committee to deliberate on the issue. Instead, the Society commenced some construction to establish an engineering college in the building used by Mirambika and has announced that Mirambika will be relocated to another space, which is much smaller and bereft of playgrounds and facilities required for integral education of the children in accordance with the teachings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother.
10. The Society has not placed anything before the School or any “project affected person”[PAP] before taking the drastic decision of relocating it (a duly recognized and 30 years old institution) above a shopping arcade.
11. After such relocation, Mirambika children will be confined to a much smaller space and not have access to playgrounds and other facilities required for their integral education in accordance with the teachings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother.
12. Law governing Schools as well as Shops prohibits the same.
13. This may result in closure of either Mirambika or the Shopping Arcade (Matri store).
14. The Society proposes to use the space vacated by Mirambika to establish an engineering college. The building, land & facilities used by the Mirambika children are being shown to AICTE and represented by the Society to be for an engineering college. Therefore, AICTE cannot legally give approval to the Society for opening an engineering college where Mirambika exists.
15. With the closure of Mirambika Teachers Training Institute & proposed relocation of Mirambika, the following professed activities of the Society may be severely undermined:
a) to prepare the younger generation for a higher spiritual and harmonious life in accordance with the teachings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother;
b) to remain a tax exempted charitable society undertaking exceptional work in the field of education appreciated and supported by the Ministry of Human Resource Development and the NCERT;
c) to remain a charitable society undertaking organizational work in the field of education; and
d) to further the cause of education in accordance with teachings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother.